Online reviews have become like the currency for a brand’s reputation on the internet. Every business should pay attention to their reviews because of their ability to impact your online search rankings. This is a major part of any search engine optimization (SEO) strategy.
Online reputation can make or break any business, therefore having a strategy in place is essential to a business’ activity. All people that might come in contact with your business, from employees to customers and suppliers will always check your reputation on the internet. Especially customers pay attention to what other customers might have said about your brand. Managing your online reviews, both good and bad, should be an active process for every business.
Responding to Positive Reviews
Responding to positive reviews always gives your social profile a boost. The customer who left the review will feel appreciated for his effort and will re-enforce his positive opinion of your business. On the other hand your audience will see that your brand online has an identity and is inclusive of every client. Finally it will also positively impact your SEO. Responses to positive reviews should include, but are not limited to:
- Thank your customer: Always express how much you appreciate the positive review.
- Personalize response: Pay attention to what the customer has highlighted and try to come up with a personalized response. You want people to know that their response is from a human and is not an automated message.
- Include your brand name, location and services to boost your SEO.
- Leverage the feedback: Use this as an opportunity to invite this particular customer back. Encourage indirectly others to try your product as well.
Responding to Negative Reviews
Every once in a while, there might be a customer who was unsatisfied with his experience and he will leave an unsatisfactory review. This is a great opportunity to turn around a negative review into a positive effect for your reputation through an appropriate response. If you succeed in solving the issue, then you will have won not only this customer back but also probably those surrounding him. If the issue is un-solvable, potential clients will see your willingness to solve problems, ensuring you are caring and trustworthy. When formulating a response to negative reviews keep in mind:
- Respond as quickly as possible. This will minimize the frustration of the customer and maybe lead to quicker resolution.
- Thank your customer. It is important to thank your customer for taking the time to leave you a review and for potentially identifying any weakness in your activity.
- Always admit when you are in the wrong. Apologize accordingly and never try to find excuses for a client’s bad experience with your product.
- Identify an appropriate resolution. Consider leaving them your customer service contact information. This will show others that you are willing to go everything in your power to overcome the situation.
- In this case avoid using SEO related terms like your business name, location, and services.